Support for children and young people aged 13-23 years
Our Youth Service Co-ordinator, who is a qualified Social Worker, ensures that Asylum Welcome provides support, services and activities for children and young people who arrived in the U.K. unaccompanied by a parent or guardian. This includes:
- confidential, one-to-one advice and guidance
- advice on education, employment and training
- advice on asylum support, welfare benefits and housing
- help if you are having problems with school
- support in dealing with lawyers, the Home Office and other organisations regarding asylum claims
- accompany you to appointments
- help you with health care
- help you find leisure activities
- help young mothers to find support and care in the community
(for 13-19 year olds)
Venda meets every Tuesday evening at The Mish. Activities include pool, table football, films and video games. Volunteers help with homework, making CVs, applying for jobs or finding accommodation. You can practice English with volunteers and take part in life skills training, including sessions on HIV/AIDS and substance misuse. Masses of fresh food provided, with hot food every fortnight.
During the school Summer holidays we arrange a variety of activities. Examples are: swimming, bowling, trips to London, to the cinema ad to watch football at the Kassam Stadium. We also refer young people to other organisations offering sports and other activities.
Services from other organisations
Visit the Young People Links page to find out about other organisations that offer services and information to children and young refugees and asylum seekers. Our friendly volunteers can help you decide who to contact and organise referrals.